I’ve been making smoothies almost every morning for me and the kids for about 2 years now – and they are still my favorite treat of the day (other than the half-baked cookie I have each night with Keith after the kids go to bed : )
So, here’s my “recipe” and a bit of info at the bottom about the ingredients…..
In a blender put:
- 2 C. Very Vanilla Silk Soy milk
- Approx 10 frozen strawberries
- 1 C. frozen blueberries
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 3-4 tbls honey
- 1/2 quart lowfat vanilla yogurt
Blend the soymilk and frozen fruits first – it blends easier and keeps air pockets from happening. Then add the bananas, honey and yogurt. Blend to liquify – I then put them in Chili’s cups (yes, I save them when we go there to treat the kids to moltens….the best dessert ever made) with straws to keep from spilling….and they drink them in the van on the way to school.
- Very Vanilla Silk Soymilk – VERY sweet soymilk…almost like a vanilla milkshake…almost (use coupons, it’s not cheap….but you can find $0.55 coupons that double at Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter to save $1.10. Still more expensive than regular milk, but I only use it for smoothies)
- Frozen strawberries and blueberries – buy in bulk from BJs or Sams (or grow your own and freeze them)
- bananas – the riper they are, the sweeter the smootie. GREAT if your child plays sports – helps with muscle cramps.
- vanilla yogurt – lowfat is MUCH sweeter than fat free….you decide
- honey – one of the best natural sweetners around – use as much or as little as you want
Alternative (since I know that strawberries and blueberries are expensive!):
- 1 Can pear halves with juice
- 4-5 bananas
- Very vanilla soymilk
- Lowfat vanilla yogurt
Put the can of pears in first, then bananas, then soymilk, honey and yogurt. Blend to liquify.
- Soy is a natural laxative – great for keeping the little ones (and you) regular
- Yogurt is a great digestive aid – for those of you who may bloat from time to time, consuming yogurt daily can help with this alot.
- Blueberries are one of the greatest antioxidants – cold/flu season is coming……
Anyone else have some great smoothie recipes? I love trying new things and would love it if you’d share!